It gives me great pleasure to reach out to all the visitors to this web site. The Institute of Maritime Studies, Goa, has been in existence since September 1997. The trainees passed out from IMS are working on various ships of Indian and Foreign Shipping companies, in various ranks. Feed back from the Industry and the Trainees show that IMS is imparting quality training. This is very encouraging.
IMS is not just another training institute. It is unique in the following ways:
1. It is a self-financing, non-profit making institute devoted solely to maritime training.
2. It is born out of efforts of the Institute of Marine Engineers (India) and support of local industries without any selfish motive.
3. Realizing that all facilities cannot be available at any one training center, it has amalgamated the best facilities available in various centers.
4. Trainees get hands on experience in operation and maintenance of marine machinery on transhippers which are duly registered and classed ships manned by certified officers.
5. Trainees are rotated through all the centers (four workshops and four transhippers), at regular intervals so that all of them receive the same level of all round training.
6. Full time trained training instructors are posted at each training center for continuous guidance and monitoring. They interact with the coordinating officers who are employees of the respective training centers.
7. Trainees are assessed periodically through written and oral examinations in addition to the terminal and final examinations.
8. The faculty includes experienced marine engineers, and engineers qualified in other respective subjects. Guest lectures are also arranged on specialized subjects.
IMS has full compliance with STCW2010 & ISO 9001: 2015 standards. Now graded as A1 by classification society Indian Register of Shipping (IRS) under comprehensive inspection program (CIP) as mandated by Director General of Shipping, Govt of India.
As stated in the quality policy, and on the emblem, IMS ensures that the students acquire the Knowledge, Competence and Discipline required by marine officers. The emblem also incorporates the motto in Sanskrit which can be translated as ” Safety Through Competent Hands ” You can enhance the level of safety of your ships by engaging IMS trained marine engineers.
Support from the shipping industry is solicited in the form of advice on new topics to be taught in addition to the DGS syllabus and enhanced placement opportunity. Help us to help you.
M. C. Asthana