Frequently Asked Questions
Placement and Employment related:
- What are the job opportunities after this training?
Answer: Even though the shipping industry is passing through a stump, in world trade at the moment, the Institute has managed to find placements for all the passed out students. Some placements get delayed from time to time also.
- What post will I get after completing the Pre sea Course?
Answer: You will be employed as “ Trainee Marine Engineer”.
- How can a student get sponsored before or after the course?
Answer: A student may seek direct employment or sponsorship before joining the course but he must satisfy the written test and other selection criteria. You are advised to seek sponsorship from companies holding a Recruitment and Placement Services License (RPSL) issued by D. G. Shipping.
- Is onboard training provided by your Institute? Or do I have to go elsewhere? After this would I be eligible for MEO Class IV Examinations?
Answer: Our pre sea courses are Academy based 12 months for GE and 24 months for DE in which Afloat training is included. After the training, all candidates have to obtain MEO Class IV A and then join ships as Trainee Marine Engineer Officer for 6-7 months. Then they can appear in MEO Class IV B examinations having 6 months of sea time/ article time and propelling time of 120 days.
Further, a student may get placed in a company through the efforts of the Institute at the time of selection or during or after the course completion.
- How can I get sponsorship prior to admission?
Answer: This is done by being selected by a company for placement as a TME and then applying to IMS for selection to the pre sea course. The company will issue a letter saying that they shall place you on board a ship owned/managed by them after you complete the course. They should also mention their Recruitment and Placement Services Licence Number.
- When do I have to appear for MEO Class IV parts A & B?
Answer: After training completion, GME candidates are exempted from appearing in Class IV A whereas the DME have to appear. After that, all join ship for 6 months and then appear in Class IV B.
- After doing GME, can I get an offshore job?
Answer: This specialised training is for working onboard ships and not for offshore industry.